Tuesday, May 26, 2009

what a fine day!

I just love my job! Not only do I get to work with Eastern Bluebirds and watch how the young are raised; but every once in a while a truly amazing thing will happen.

Today was one of those days.

First thing this morning, I saw a baby snapping turtle. Cool!

Then as I was checking boxes for eggs, there was one momma who refused to leave her nest, so I got to give her a little pat for a job well done.

THEN as I was finishing up and driving down an old dirt road, a Doe stepped out and crossed over. I was a ways away so she took her time. My thought was....hmmmmm.....baby???

So I pulled over and waited. Sure enough out pops this tiny precious itty bitty baby fawn! Must have only been maybe a week old. Cute as a button. So I was content to watch him cross the road after his momma. Well, he had other ideas and toodled down the road TOWARDS ME AND MY CAR!!! Crap! wrong way baby and sure enough, his momma popped back out of the woods and saw my car and scrammed!

Well the little fella kept coming to my car and so I got out and he came right to me. How could I NOT pet the cutie pie? I couldn't! LOL! But I did try to pick him up and set him closer to where his momma could find him.

Well, he was as light as a feather! (hard to believe that he will be a nice hunting size in just a couple years!) So I watch him wander around the road some more and then scoot back the way he came. Yep to the wrong side of the road!!!

So I call the nature center and ask if they thought things would still be good and they confirmed my thoughts that if I would ONLY LEAVE, his momma would come back and find him.

So I scrammed.

But it was SO VERY COOL!!! (I did get a couple pictures but have to figure out how to down load them from my camera using bluetooth)

THEN just when I thought all the cool things were done for the day, a wild turkey flew out in front of my car as I was driving away!!! Now I hear them all the time but this was the first time to see one around there!

So it was indeed a GREAT and fine day today!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

anyone can now comment but I will still monitor them so that the site does not get a bunch of spam on it.