Monday, May 2, 2011

searching for a life

I've heard people say "I need to find a life" or "I'm searching for a life" and I've got to wonder 'did you lose yours or something?'

These ones who claim they wander around either literally or psychology; "searching for a life" are not really looking for a life, they are looking for distractions from their life. Think about it, do they ever 'find a life'? no they don't. At least they don't until they actually stop and realize that their life was right there all the time.

Sure we make changes, grow (hopefully), mature (again hopefully), and bring new ideas and people into our lives.... point being: bring INTO our lives.

However our lives are with us all the time. We don't have to 'GO' anywhere to find meaning for our lives, just look inside and decide what kind of person you want to be and if you are that person.

For example, what traits are important to you? Integrity, honest, trustworthiness, kindness, generous, loving, and mild tempered are important to me. These are traits that I like having. Some I've got -some I'm still working on. These traits (and others) are what make my life. I don't have to go to India or Africa or Spain to find who I want to be.

I've found that those who run away from their families to 'find themselves' are really just running away from their families. People who break up from their partners because they 'need time to find themselves' really just no longer want to be with that person. It is just a lie to make themselves feel better.

Never lie to yourself.

If you want to run away go explore the world and leave your troubles behind; at least be honest about it all. Thing is, you need to realize that those troubles won't just disappear, they'll follow you and catch up to you eventually.

I've traveled around this country quite a bit, not gone to all the places I'd like to; but I've tried to be honest about why I go.... at least with myself.

A change of scenery can help one focus on themselves, I'm not saying it won't. But we have to realize that any "finding of who we are" doesn't begin "out there" in begins "in here". In our minds and hearts.

Setting goals and having dreams is great! But they don't make us into who we are, they are expressions of who we are.

We are wonderfully made. We have the ability to reason, dream, achieve, love, and be loved.

So if you think you need to 'go out there' and 'find yourself', remember that going out there is just you trying to distract yourself from who you are. First start inside and become who you want to be, then go out there and express yourself! You'll have a lot more fun that way! And who knows, you may just be able to help someone else realize their inward potential!

No comments:

Post a Comment

anyone can now comment but I will still monitor them so that the site does not get a bunch of spam on it.